China says Trump, Xi strike deal on trade talks

OSAKA, Japan (AP) — President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping agreed Saturday to a new cease-fire in a year-long trade war between the two nations.

That’s according to the Xinhua Chinese state-run news agency. It says the two countries have agreed to reboot stalled trade talks and that the U.S. will hold off on threatened additional tariffs on Chinese goods.

Trump said earlier Saturday that the countries were “right back on track” and that he would be making an announcement on the results of his talks with Xi during an afternoon press conference.

U.S. officials had signaled that a restart in talks was the likely outcome of Trump’s meeting with Xi. The two leaders previously agreed to a truce at their last meeting in December to allow trade negotiations to continue, but talks broke down last month.

President Donald Trump says the U.S. and China are “right back on track” when it comes to reaching a deal on trade.

Trump is telling reporters that he and Chinese President Xi Jinping had a “very, very good meeting” on the sidelines of a Group of 20 summit in Japan that was better than expected.

And he says that, while negotiations are continuing, China will soon be releasing a statement and he will be addressing the issue at a news conference later Saturday.

The two countries have been at an impasse over trade after a breakdown in negations. But both sides had signaled a desire to de-escalate the year-long conflict despite.

Trump made the comments during a meeting with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Comments

comments

You must be logged in to post a comment Login