Commissioners Court to consider 13 Appraisal District Board candidates, odds of reform nil

Image: With the Commissioners Court and school districts unwilling to rein in the Montgomery Central Appraisal District, the true engine of tax increases in Montgomery County, the County government and administration-heavy school districts will continue to enjoy their unlimited supply of tax dollars to spend.

Conroe, November 11 – On Tuesday, November 14, 2017, the Montgomery County Commissioners Court will vote how to allocate its 1,037 votes for the Board of Directors of the Montgomery Central Appraisal District. The Board of Directors of MCAD sets reappraisal policy for MCAD so that it has enormous influence over the tax increases MCAD has perpetrated on Montgomery County taxpayers during the past two decades. The Board also oversees management and operation of MCAD.

The top five vote earners will enjoy election to the Board. The special purpose districts receive a 1-seat allocation on the five-person Board and they must all vote for one of their nominees. Therefore, the Woodlands Township, which holds the most votes among the special purpose districts, will likely determine the holder of one seat on the MCAD Board of Directors.

The other four top vote earners will come from the remaining votes. Conroe Independent School District holds more than 1,700 votes, so it will likely elect two Board members. The County government holds the second most votes – by far – so it will likely elect the other two Board members. If the County were to divide its votes equally among the five County Commissioners Court nominees, it would probably then cede its power to determine two Board seats to the remaining school districts that wield a smattering of approximately two hundred votes apiece.

There are five County Commissioners Court nominees. Two of them stand out as the obvious “establishment” choices who will safely vote for higher property tax appraisals, which seems to be precisely what all five Commissioners Court members want.

The following are the thirteen nominees, their “establishment reliability to vote for higher taxes and appraisals,” and their likelihood of election.

Barry Blanton. Business consultant, The Woodlands. Blanton is a great community leader who has worked closely with the political “establishment.” Establishment Reliability to vote for higher taxes and appraisals: 90%. Likelihood of election: 40%. Blanton appears to be the replacement for Tom Cox who has been a reliable voter on the Board of Directors for higher appraisals.

Barry Blanton sitting at the Getty Museum in Los Angeles, California on November 5, 2017.

Bob Casey. NOMINATED BY COUNTY JUDGE CRAIG DOYAL. (Note: Doyal’s primary interest is bringing greater amounts of tax dollars into the County government to support higher government spending.) Casey is a retired Harris County Deputy Sheriff. He is a Republican Precinct Chair who reliably supports County GOP Chairman Walter Wilkerson. Establishment Reliability to vote for higher taxes and appraisals: 95%. Likelihood of election: 60%. Casey will likely receive half of the County Commissioners Court votes.

Bob Casey (left) with the owner of Ray’s BBQ Shack.

Guy Hancock. NOMINATED BY JIM CLARK. (Note: Clark’s primary interest is supporting East Montgomery County.) Hancock is a retired HVAC licensee. He has served on an ESD Board and was a reliable “establishment” vote. He is very well-liked and respected in East Montgomery County. Establishment Reliability to vote for higher taxes and appraisals: 90%. Likelihood of election: 10%. As Clark’s nominee, Hancock doesn’t stand much of a chance. Both Doyal and Precinct 2 County Commissioner Charlie Riley hate Clark, because Clark has agreed to testify against them in the Texas Open Meetings Act criminal cases pending against them.

Chuck Hoffheiser. Hoffheiser is a retired oil industry executive. He is the Woodlands Township nominee. Rather than seeking a reformer to replace the “establishment’s” Bruce Tough, Township Board member Bruce Rieser spearheaded the nomination of Hoffheiser to keep an even keel and keep tax dollars flowing into the Township from MCAD. Establishment Reliability to vote for higher taxes and appraisals: 90%. Likelihood of election: 60%. Hoffheiser will likely be the special purpose district Board member on the MCAD Board of Directors. He’s a complete unknown, which is what Rieser seemed to want.

Bonar Luzey, II. Luzey is a business consultant and an unknown. Establishment Reliability to vote for higher taxes and appraisals: 80%. Likelihood of election: 5%.

Clint McLaren. McLaren is an accounting coordinator for Baker Hughes GE and lives in Oak Ridge North. While he has been a supporter of GOP Chairman Walter Wilkerson, he’s a fair and honest person, which means he’s not always a reliable vote for the “establishment.”  Establishment Reliability to vote for higher taxes and appraisals: 40%. Likelihood of election: 10%.

Mike Meador. NOMINATED BY MIKE MEADOR. (Note: Primary motivation is self-service.) Meador is the Precinct 1 County Commissioner, a position he’s held since 1993. He consistently votes for higher government spending and is often unsatisfied that the County government has not spent a lot more money than it has. He is, by far, the most reliable vote for higher taxes and appraisals on the Board of Directors of MCAD, other than Ed Chance. Establishment Reliability to vote for higher taxes and appraisals: 100%. Likelihood of election: 100%.

While the community of Montgomery County cleaned debris, tore up the remains of their homes, struggled to find a place to sleep, and worried about how they’ll meet their future needs, Precinct 1 County Commissioner Mike Meador (in black with arms crossed) and County Judge Craig Doyal (looking in the wrong direction) found a nice photo opportunity on Friday, September 1, 2017.

Gregory Parker. The City of Montgomery nominated Parker. He is a technology consultant, former Comal County Commissioner, former City Manager, and presently a candidate for the Republican nomination for Precinct 2 County Commissioner running against incumbent Charlie Riley. Parker is easily the most qualified candidate on the slate for the MCAD Board of Directors. He is a conservative and a reformer. Establishment Reliability to vote for higher taxes and appraisals: 10%. Likelihood of election: 0%.

Ron Raymaker. Raymaker is a semi-retired realtor who serves on the Shenandoah City Council. He has supported some city reforms. Establishment Reliability to vote for higher taxes and appraisals: 70%. Likelihood of election: 15%.

Bruce Tough. Tough is an attorney and current member of the MCAD Board of Directors. He is a reliable “establishment” vote for higher tax appraisals. He is very popular among the political “establishment.” Establishment Reliability to vote for higher taxes and appraisals: 100%. Likelihood of election: 100%. The school districts will support Tough’s re-election to the MCAD Board of Directors. He’s a dream-come-true for higher taxes and spending.

Woodlands attorney Bruce Tough.

Carl White. White is an extraordinarily honest person with impeccable credentials and integrity as a community activist. He is the President of the Local Chapter of the NAACP. He served on the Montgomery County Hospital District Board of Directors about 18 years ago. Establishment Reliability to vote for higher taxes and appraisals: 40%. Likelihood of election: 10%.

Peggy Hausman. NOMINATED BY JAMES NOACK. (Note: Noack’s primary motivation is continuing to grow tax appraisals to support governmental salaries, although Noack is also somewhat reform-minded.) Hausman is a former Woodlands Township Board member and served as President of the Woodlands Community Association. She is a retired homemaker. She spends about one-third of each year in Colorado. Establishment Reliability to vote for higher taxes and appraisals: 50%. Likelihood of election: 30%.

Riley Nominee. NOMINATED BY CHARLIE RILEY. (Note: Riley’s motivation in making this nomination is indiscernible.) Establishment Reliability to vote for higher taxes and appraisals: 0%. Likelihood of election: 0%.

The Golden Hammer‘s prediction for the makeup of the next Board of Directors of Montgomery Central Appraisal District:

Mike Meador, Chairman

Bruce Tough, Vice Chairman

Chuck Hoffheiser (Special Purpose District representative)

Bob Casey

Barry Blanton.

That Board of Directors will reliably follow the direction of the Chief Appraiser and approve aggressive increases in property taxes to support government spending increases.

 

 

 

 

Comments

comments

You must be logged in to post a comment Login